Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I think one of the ways you can find out if your bisexual or not is if you have felt an attraction to the same sex for a while, as opposed to wanting to kiss an attractive woman while you are drunk at a party.  It was around the time when I was twelve that I started to think that I was attracted to women.  I didn't really know what that meant besides the fact that my second cousin was lesbian.  I had heard of this thing called "gaydar" where one persons intuition helps them detect another persons sexual orientation; usually if someone is gay then they have a better "gaydar." Knowing this I was paranoid that when my cousin came to visit that she would be able to tell that I was attracted to women because she was a lesbian.  I didn't want to be attracted to girls. I was just over whelmed with fear that I couldn't reverse it.  I just wanted to go in the computer file of who I was and click delete.  I was checking out the cheerleaders at basketball games, looking at girls on T.V., having dreams about girls, pulled in by their perfume smell, and overall couldn't stop this overwhelming fear of me liking women.  To the other bisexuals, lesbians, and gays out there, my opinion is this is your "denial phase" I am not the only one who has felt this way either.  You enter a period of deep denial, where your afraid of exploring that part of yourself.  For other gay and lesbians who I have talked to, have expressed that they too were terrified of "being gay."  Some people are stuck in this phase for a long time.  It takes so much energy to hide and discourage that part of yourself.  I remember thinking, "If I ignore this it will go away and it wont be true anymore."  I couldn't even admit it to myself.  This blog is hopefully helping those who read it! I would like to say as someone who has allowed myself to be comfortable with that part of myself I am ten times happier.  There is nothing to be afraid of! The longer you hide who you are the more you can hurt yourself, when you accept yourself there is like this feeling of relief and you open up and can love yourself.  Don't rush this phase however, coming out and accepting yourself is a process. My hope is that everyone can at some point accept and love every part of who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment