I had a friend of mine who is a lesbian write in as a guest blogger... here is what she had to say :)
"
When a person asks me, “how long have you known that you were
gay?” I have trouble answering that question. A common misconception about LGBT
people is that that we have always known and accepted the fact that we were gay,
bisexual, transgender, whatever. For me, at least, there was no defining moment
when I realized that I was gay- it was more a slowly building realization and
acceptance of myself to the point where I felt comfortable with letting other
people in on this aspect of my life.
When I was in elementary school, I hardly even knew what the
word “lesbian” meant. As far as I was concerned, girls ended up with boys and
vice-versa. Still, I was painfully aware of the lack of interest that I had in
boys. All of my friends would go on about boys as we got older and entered
middle school. I wondered if there was something wrong with me. It was around
that time that I began to feel very close to certain females in my life- in my
mind these were nothing more than friendships, but subconsciously I wanted them
to be more than friendships.
When I got to high school, I knew by this time that there was
something different about me and I had begun to question my sexuality. It was as
if I had been told that I had a terminal illness- I was in shock and did not
believe that it could happen to me. So I chose to ignore the growing “problem”
of my sexuality. I pretended to be interested in boys and at times was almost
able to convince myself that I was. But in the end, my attraction to girls was
something that I could no longer ignore. It had been causing me massive amounts
of stress and my family and friends had begun to notice that there was something
wrong with me. I spent about of year coming out to myself and accepting the fact
that I was gay, and eventually started coming out to my friends and family.
Their reactions were much better than I had even anticipated.
The point that I want to get across is, if you identify with
being LGBTQ but are afraid to come out, the reactions that you get will most
likely be much better than you anticipate. Because you feel alone and hopeless
now doesn’t mean that you always will. It’s been a year since I started coming
out, and it’s amazing how things have changed. All my friends and family accept
me completely, and I met a ton of other gay/bisexual people (there are a lot
more than you think)! My first dating experience with a girl was both amazing
and a learning experience. My life is so much better than it was a year ago, and
in my opinions, coming out (as long as you are in a safe environment) is worth
it one hundred percent.
Love,
Christine.
No comments:
Post a Comment