So I took my girlfriend to prom!
I was really nervous about how it would go because generally it is a man and a woman who go to prom. Surprisingly however everyone was okay with it. I didn't feel uncomfortable at the dance with her at all! It was if I had brought a guy. We didn't get any rude comments or any dirty looks. It made me really happy because I think it would have been upsetting to have anything negative happen.I had to buy her a corsage which I have never done before and she bought me one and I had to tie it on for her. I will admit I was actually really nervous, parents came over and took photos beforehand. Introducing her to the parents made me really nervous and picture were pretty awkward because all lined up for photos it was pretty obvious that we were two girls going together. One of my friends is Lutheran and her parents were there, in their religion they believe that dating someone of the same sex is wrong. They were very respectful however and I really appreciated that. The whole night at dinner my friend who is Lutheran she was very nice as well. I felt really accepted. My girlfriend and I were holding hands and our waiter was very nice and polite and didn't act weirdly or treat us any different either. Slow dancing at the dance was weird because we tried a gender neutral slow dance position and neither of us had done it before but we made it work in the end. We ended up having a really fun time and saw an open gay couple there which was fun. I was really happy that everything went how it did. My advice to you if you are gay or bisexual and dating someone who is the same gender bring them to a dance. I had no problem and if you are confident and self assured it feels good to bring someone you like to dance with you. If you are straight show your support and smile at us! Acceptance feels great! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment